HPE Spaceborne Computer-2 Completes 24 Experiments on ISS
HOUSTON, April 4, 2022 — Hewlett Packard Company today declared that the HPE Spaceborne Computer system-2 (SBC-2), the first in-room professional edge computing and AI-enabled technique to run on the Intercontinental Area Station (ISS), has effectively done 24 research experiments, accelerating time-to-perception from months and times, to minutes.
The experiments concerned authentic-time details processing and screening of new applications to show reliability in space as element of an effort to increase autonomy for astronauts. These experiments spanned takes advantage of scenarios supporting health care, graphic processing, normal catastrophe recovery, 3D printing, 5G, and remedies enabled by synthetic intelligence.
Video clip: Northrop Grumman CRS-15: HPE Spaceborne Computer-2 accelerates house exploration with to start with at any time in-space industrial edge computing and synthetic intelligence capabilities
“By introducing edge computing and AI capabilities to the Worldwide House Station with Spaceborne Laptop or computer-2, we have assisted foster a escalating, collaborative investigation group that shares a widespread target to make scientific and engineering breakthroughs that gain humankind, on house and below on Earth,” claimed Dr. Mark Fernandez, principal investigator, Spaceborne Computer-2, at HPE. “We are proud of this ongoing perform, which has currently resulted in 24 completed experiments, from numerous organizations, demonstrating new alternatives for space exploration and milestones for humanity.”
Breaking Ground for Edge Computing and AI in Place with Spaceborne Personal computer-2
HPE launched Spaceborne Personal computer-2, in collaboration with the ISS Countrywide Laboratory, to space in February 2021 and was set up on the ISS in May possibly 2021. The resolution is comprised of HPE’s edge computing remedies, the HPE Edgeline Converged EL4000 Edge technique, which presents a rugged and compact technique intended to perform in harsher edge environments, these as room, and the HPE ProLiant DL360 server, a dependable, business-typical server, for more superior-carrying out abilities to focus on a vary of workloads, together with edge, HPC, AI, etcetera.
SBC-2 is part of a greater mission to appreciably advance computing and lower dependence on communications as people journey farther into place to the Moon, Mars and beyond. The alternative also demonstrates potential approaches astronauts can maximize self-sufficiency when processing knowledge instantly on the place station, in serious-time, bypassing more time latency and wait around moments that occur when relying on sending raw details to Earth to be processed, analyzed, and sent back to area.
Enabling More rapidly Computing and Shorter Download Times to Earth With 20,000X Speed-Up
The edge computing capabilities shipped through SBC-2 also have the likely to allow astronauts and room explorers to send out knowledge to Earth, no matter whether to be even further analyzed or utilized in a further way, at a radically compressed sizing and speedier velocity. Previously, 1.8 GB of raw DNA sequence data took an average time of 12.2 hours just to down load to Earth for initial processing. With SBC-2, scientists onboard the area station processed that exact knowledge in six minutes to obtain meaningful insights, compressed it to 92 KB and despatched it to Earth in just two seconds, symbolizing a 20,000X velocity-up.1
Spaceborne Personal computer-2 Completes 24 Experiments Utilizing In-Area Edge Computing and AI
Considering the fact that its installment on the ISS, Spaceborne Pc-2 ran dozens of experiments by processing details at the edge, in serious-time, for researchers with businesses producing breakthrough capabilities for room exploration this sort of as Axiom House, Cornell University, Comucore, Microsoft, NASA and Titan Space Technologies. Illustration experiments contain:
- Experiment centered on rising human safety and self-sufficiency by applying AI-enabled hurt detection in astronaut gloves – Astronauts on the ISS are usually on spacewalks wherever they repair service equipment, set up new devices and improve characteristics and features on the room station. They wear essential gloves that can knowledge normal erosion, along with even rips and cuts, that can current potential security problems. In an experiment led by NASA, HPE and Microsoft, photographs and recorded video clip taken in place of just lately worn gloves by astronauts, were being processed making use of Spaceborne Pc-2’s AI-enabled abilities. The glove analyzer product, jointly produced by NASA and Microsoft, was then employed to rapidly appear for signals of destruction on-orbit, in room. If injury is detected, an AI-annotated picture is created in space and promptly despatched to Earth, highlighting spots for further review by NASA engineers.
- Automated interpretation of satellite imagery immediately after a catastrophe – NASA Jet Propulsion Laboratory observes Earth from place to examine science and local weather, as well as guidance disaster response. Utilizing Spaceborne Laptop or computer-2 in concert with embedded processors, NASA JPL examined several deep finding out inference networks to mechanically interpret distant sensed visuals from land and structures immediately after a catastrophe. For case in point, two these kinds of approaches use radar data from the UAVSAR system to: establish flood extent, this sort of as from a hurricane, and to figure out urban developing injury, these as from an earthquake. These approaches could be applied onboard upcoming spacecraft to quickly provide actionable products and solutions to appropriate authorities to aid in catastrophe restoration.
- Enabling 3D printing in room with validated computer software – As individuals glance to long run deep area vacation, buying provides to repair service or make new devices from Earth will not be timely and simple. To boost self-sufficiency by enabling additive manufacturing for humans traveling over and above lower Earth orbit (LEO), Cornell Fracture Team, element of Cornell College, a primary study college, designed a modeling program that can simulate 3D printing of metal components and even predict any failure and deformation that may perhaps final result when printing in the harsh condition of room. The software program was efficiently examined on Spaceborne Personal computer-2, validating that it can be utilised in place to digitally simulate a portion and have an understanding of how it will perform in truth.
- Increasing network functionality on the ISS with a 5G main prototype – Cumucore, a personal cellular community answer service provider, tested its 5G main community, along with RAN emulators and other functions, on Spaceborne Laptop or computer-2, to emulate current abilities on the foundation station and conclusion person products. The validation demonstrated the opportunity to install point out-of-the-art 5G abilities on selected satellites and spacecraft to unlock a new stage of communications in place. The validation also has the likely to assistance near upcoming options applying 5G because of to the rapid growth of the commercialization of space.
- Developing software codes to compute fuel requirements dependent on room vacation distance – As part of HPE’s ongoing do the job with learners around the world to mentor and aid endeavours in STEM investigation, HPE opened up Spaceborne Pc-2 to learners in India concerned in Codewars, an instructional group and levels of competition for computer programming. The jobs largely centered on creating code employing C++, Python and Fortran, with a single involving C++ Pythagoras theorem code to determine how considerably fuel is desired for offered place journey distance to specifically vacation to with no demanding refueling.
Sign up for HPE at Place Symposium – April 4-7, 2022
HPE is exhibiting at the annual 37th Space Symposium meeting in Colorado Springs, Colorado, at booth #1457
HPE, NASA and Microsoft will demo the AI Hand Glove experiment at the HPE booth during the meeting.
Dr. Mark Fernandez, principal investigator of Spaceborne Personal computer-2 at HPE, will also present in the next panel:
To master much more about Spaceborne Laptop-2 and how to post a proposal to use the procedure, you should visit: www.hpe.com/facts/spaceborne.
1 Based on knowledge logged on HPE Spaceborne Laptop-2 on a DNA sequencing experiment.
About Hewlett Packard Business
Hewlett Packard Enterprise (NYSE: HPE) is the world edge-to-cloud firm that helps corporations speed up results by unlocking value from all of their information, almost everywhere. Constructed on many years of reimagining the foreseeable future and innovating to advance the way persons reside and perform, HPE provides one of a kind, open and smart technologies solutions as a service. With choices spanning Cloud Providers, Compute, Higher General performance Computing & AI, Smart Edge, Computer software, and Storage, HPE provides a regular expertise throughout all clouds and edges, assisting consumers produce new company styles, have interaction in new strategies, and maximize operational efficiency. For far more information, go to: www.hpe.com.